Friday, July 07, 2006

The Shit Kicking


another time
me and two
of
my
friends
got the shit
kicked
out of
us
late at night
walking home
pissed
and
tripping

beaten up
in three different
backstreets
by
two boys
younger but
tougher
and
madder
and
rougher
than us
the sons of
dealers
and cons

i can only
remember that
night
by a collection
of
memory
photographs

by the way
the moon
lit
up the massive
rock
that one of
them
raised about
his head
as if to slam down
on
poor davey
and the way
poor mark
(now dead)
freaked out
and
hid
in a
coal-bunker
where he stayed
for ages
watching coal
and
cowering
and
hallucinating
intensely

and the way
they stole my wallet
from my
pocket
and my
leather
coat from my
back
in slow motion
and the way
i
just let them
like a
fucking pussy
with a sore
jaw

but
i suppose
the one good thing
to
come
out of it
was that
i’ve
never been a
fucking pussy
since

because even when
i got the shit kicked
out of me
again
and then
again
i went down
raging
and fighting with
iron in my
stomach
gravel in my
knuckles
and curses on my
razor
tongue.
Ben Myers

No comments: