Wednesday, February 28, 2007

You Fell Pregnant

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As if I wasn’t already
scared enough of AIDS
and street beatings
and organ failure
and my own shadow
you told me you had
‘fallen pregnant’
but already fallen unpregnant
when you threw
yourself down the stairs
in the suburban semi
bought by your
adulterous doctor father’s gains

I loved you then
and I like you now as an adult
but I still don’t know
how I feel about that
miscarriage
at seventeen
when we were just babies
when I handled condoms
like horses do mouth organs
when we could barely
even enjoy sex
because of the fear the
80s had instilled

you certainly were
fucking nuts sometimes
needy and persistent
and occasionally manic
but I credit you with the truth
if you said you were
pregnant
right before I was leaving
to move south
to study
then you must have been
pregnant, right?
Right?

because
I
always
believed
that
people
should
not
lie
about
things
like
that.

Ben Myers

1 comment:

katy stripe said...

I love this, especially the ending