Friday, May 23, 2008

Repent, Repent, Repent


listening to Chet Baker sing ‘almost blue’
(there’s a girl here and she’s almost you…)
sadness, I let it go
up, up into the terrible, vast,
Californian sky
the scarred undersides of one hundred spoons
cottons double boiled
could not get the taste of you
from out of my mouth

outside of my window the street kids line up
for watery soup and day old bread
inside the air is thick with impending death

now, years later
when I listen to Chet’s fractured,
near-death voice, I am transported
across the country,
across the years
to room 119
where it is always stifling
mid morning murder
money is always scarce
and my life is still pregnant
with terrifying
glorious possibilities


Tony O'Neill

4 comments:

Paula Bomer said...

Nice one.

Anonymous said...

I can absolutely feel it! I get the feeling of being in a no mans land.. and I've often thought about that sort of things. really good.

badbanners.blogspot.com

Steamed said...

this is so bad. as usual. keep it up, Writer. and keep y'r day job.

BCholette said...

I thought this was a very curious and intriguing piece. Keep writing!